Prepare Your Home For Winter
Brought to you by Fonville Morisey Realty
Is your home prepared for the winter days ahead? Winterizing your home will help prevent damage, reduce electricity costs and improve energy efficiency.
Prevent cold air and moisture from entering your home.
- Install weather stripping around your doors and windows
- Check all your windows and replace old cracked caulking beads
- If you have a storm door, replace the screen insert with a glass insert
- Add adequate insulation in your attic
- Install a moisture barrier under the house in the crawl space using 6 MIL plastic
Improve energy efficiency to help reduce electricity costs.
- Insulate your water heater with a water-heater blanket or wrap
- Vacuum all the heat ducts in the home, clearing the air flow and assisting in heating your home properly
- Replace or clean the air filters in your home to increase air quality and decrease how hard the HVAC system must work
- Run your ceiling fans in reverse, a clockwise direction, to circulate heat and improve efficiency
Prevent freezing pipes.
- Add insulation around your exterior water pipes
- Know where the main shut off valve is
- Keep an indoor faucet dripping
- If your home is vacant, empty the water heater, drain all the pipes and fill the various fixtures with an anti-freeze solution
Prepare your fireplace and chimney for use.
- Make sure your home’s chimney vents and flues are clean and safe to use
- Get your furnace and fireplace inspected by a professional
Avoid exterior damage to your home.
- Inspect the outside area of your home and remove all low-hanging tree branches that may fall during an ice or snowstorm
- Clean your gutters of dirt and leaves
If your home is vacant and you’re preparing to sell, contact your local real estate agent for help with the home-selling process. If you’re living in your home and need help winterizing your home, your Fonville Morisey real estate agent can recommend specialized experts in your area.